Alumni Story: Cyndi McShane

Cyndi McShane ’07 of UMF Career Services fame!

Cyndi says:

I currently work at UMF as a Career Counselor and Employment Specialist. I help students find work while they’re in college and plan for when they’re done college. I also work with alums navigating the job market. I serve as a connection for Maine businesses to help them connect with UMF students through career and employment fairs and campus visits.

I didn’t start off thinking “I want to be a Career Counselor” and I began my professional life as a manager for my family’s business after I finished graduate school. I realized retail wasn’t for me, though, and transitioned to teaching at a community college, before switching to advising and then career counseling.

One piece of advice I would give a recent grad is to look for opportunity in everything. Even if a position isn’t your dream job, realize that it is an experience you can learn and grown from.

A highlight of my professional career so far is easily anytime I work with students. Whether it was at the community college or now at UMF, meeting and forming relationships with these young adults has changed my life for the better.