Alumni Story: Rachel (Fritschy) Pozzetti

Rachel (Fritschy) Pozzetti ’11 (pictured here with husband Patrick ’11) 

Rachel’s career story:

I am an Earth Science and Ecology teacher at Portsmouth High School in Portsmouth, NH and have been since I graduated from UMF in 2011. I did not realize at the time that it was sort of my dream job until now but I could not be happier with the district and department I work for. I grew up in Massachusetts and attended UMF so working in New Hampshire was my happy medium.

To be completely honest, I knew I wanted to be a science teacher from about middle school. I always loved my science classes and the subject, but additionally I loved helping people out. I was not sure until college what subjects I wanted to focus on but I knew I would strive for a Secondary Education pathway since I was passionate about more in-depth, complex scientific topics. In high school, I often signed up for the courses that were for “tomorrow’s teachers” or “tutors” because it was the closest thing I could find to teacher training.

When I first applied to colleges, I was originally going to take an Environmental Science route and then pursue a masters degree in education, until I found The University of Maine at Farmington. It was the only school that not only had the Secondary Education Major, but also had specific sciences to concentrate on. In my case, I chose the Earth/Space science track. Ever since, I’ve never looked back. Some of my greatest memories were at UMF, both with the professors I got to work with and the people I met, including my now husband and fellow UMF Alumni Patrick Pozzetti.

First and foremost, please don’t forget that you don’t need to hurry up, find a perfect career, and check all those boxes that everyone idealizes. Figure out what makes you happy and what you’re passionate about and then go after it. If you choose a career because of the paycheck or because of the convenience, you will never truly find happiness.

Also, always be willing to learn. I remember being a new teacher and being absolutely terrified to have my own classroom. Not only was I responsible for satisfying a certain curriculum, but I had to manage 75 students at once. Don’t think you have to reinvent the wheel or break the mold, at least not right away. Work with your colleagues and friends, take as much advice as you can, and then slowly find your own ways to create success and achievement.

I learned very quickly that with as much preparation and training you get at UMF, you don’t truly understand what having your own classroom is like until you actually do. We learned a great deal about lesson plans, standards, special education, and paperwork, but there are so many nuisances that you only will learn through experience. For example, the professional development piece of teaching can be just as exhausting, and rewarding, as the teaching itself. Sometimes certain things your district wants you to do will feel like busy work, but other times it might get you to meet new people or learn new ideas that you would have never had prior.

A highlight from my professional life so far has definitely been my participation in my school. As we all probably remember, some schools will have a pep rally during the year which is preceded by a spirit week when students dress up in crazy outfits. At my first Portsmouth High School pep rally, I did not dress up much that week since I thought it was simply for the students, until I heard them giving out “most spirited awards”. They gave one to one male and female student in each grade, AND one male and female teacher. Right then, I decided that I wanted to participate since now I knew we could. Ever since, I have created this reputation around spirit week as Mrs. Pozzetti, most spirited teacher. Kids will come to my room or walk in the hallway by my room simply to see what my outfit looked like that day. I adore making students laugh and trying to get kids to understand what a cassette tape is for Throwback Thursday.

Just remember, whether you are a teacher or anything else, it is so much more to not just do your job, but to make the best of every moment. Seeking out opportunities to really become part of your community and learn to make it better than it is will help you find true happiness and comfort.