Alumni Story: Haley Smith-Rose

Hayley Smith-Rose ’14

Hayley shares:

I am currently the Assistant Program Director for the radio station Hot 104.7 in Portland, Maine. This basically means I wear an endless amount of hats over here. I’m on air at night, I handle all promotions, prizes, concerts, and events, and I take care of all of the billing business!

Getting to this point started with working on my Music Administration degree at UMF. During college, I interned at Kiss 108 in Boston which sparked my interest in radio. From there, I went on to work at 107.9 The Mix in Augusta while I finished up my degree. In 2015, I took the plunge and moved to Portland to work for Hot 104.7!

Don’t feel like you need to know exactly what you want to do with your life after you graduate! It’s okay to try a few different things and find out that you actually hate doing them. That’s what helps you figure out your passion! With this being said, don’t stick with a job your loathe just because you feel like you should because that’s what your degree focused on.

​Getting promoted from Promotions Director to Assistant Program Director was a pretty big deal! Also, every concert we plan and put on is a definite highlight. Seeing how happy we can make people with music (especially live, in the flesh) is why I do what I do! ​