Girard Farm

Click on a blue cyanotype picture to view a description of the artwork.

Girard Farm- Waterboro, Maine

Josh Girard

Josh grew up in Lyman, Maine and after studying engineering and working as an aquaculture extension agent for the Peace Corps, decided to return to his hometown and grow food for the community. He began as an apprentice and worked at local farms before starting his own farm in 2015 on a piece of rented land. His Mom and Dad hosted the first farm stand. Josh uses a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) model and after four years of building a sustainable business, purchased his own place last winter. It’s an open plot of land in Waterboro that once served as the local golf driving range. Along with his family and crew, he’s in the process of transforming the old range into a working, organic farm growing a variety of fresh vegetables that are available at the farm stand, through CSA, and at the Saco River Farmer’s market in Biddeford.

“I feel really lucky to have roots in a certain place. Even though there’s a lot of challenges as a young person, single, farming in Maine.  …. I didn’t want to give up that gift of having a sense of Place here in Maine.” – Josh Girard

“As much as I like the ideas of hope and future prosperity it’s really an uncertain time and a scary time and I think the world is only going to change more rapidly in the coming years…We can either choose to prepare ourselves, physically, mentally and spiritually, or we can be forced to change.” – Josh Girard

“Whether or not the farm will be the same in 20 years as I am realizing it now I don’t know. But I’ll be trying my hardest to grow good healthy food and supporting people whether it’s a  business or an oasis in all the confusion and insanity of the future.” – Josh Girard

http://www.girardfarm.com/index.html

PREVIOUS: Frith Farm | NEXT: Hurricane Valley Farm
Return to Farms

Published in Digital Exhibition

Skip to toolbar